Tuesday, November 18, 2008

weight update

With only four weeks left in the Guam Biggest Loser contest I guess it is time for an update. I wanted to share with everyone why I felt it was time to get rid of some of my excess pounds and get healthy. Andrea and I had been informed of our selection for the local contest on September 20. I was so excited because I had been feeling extra fat and sluggish. On September 25 I went to work like every other day. I spent time in the office doing paperwork and then went on the sales floor to see what needed to be done that day. As I moved into the basement stockroom I suddenly had this strange feeling in my gut and thought that I needed the bathroom. I went into the bathroom to "take care of business" and was overcome with a tightness and pain I had never felt before. I was sweating as if I were in a sauna but at the same time felt cold. I heard someone come into the room and called out to her that I needed some help. I wanted her to get Katrina whom was working on the sales floor. The woman did not understand what I wanted and just kept cleaning the bathroom. I didn't want to die there on the toilet so I got up and went outside of the bathroom. I felt awful!!! I didn't want to make a scene so went back into the bathroom. Now everything was getting dark and I was so dizzy I could hardly stand. No more denying that I was in trouble and had to get help. As I left the bathroom the second time I was happy to see Katrina walking down the hall. I called out to her that I needed help. Something was wrong and asked her to call 911. Suddenly I was surrounded by the guys from our loss prevention dept. One of them is a EMT and he had me sit and helped keep me calm. At that moment I was sure that if I stopped fighting for my life and passed out I would die. I remember the paramedics trying to find a blood preasure without success. Then one said I can't find a pulse. I told him that I must have a pulse because I am alive. I could no longer feel my arms and hands as they were numb and the pain in my chest was bad. I was rushed to the hospital and spent the next three days there. I didn't have a heart attack, but was told I was very lucky to be alive. My Dr. said this was a warning and most people don't get that chance. I now always take my high blood preasure med. The dr. said I could and should excercise and that is what I have done. So far I have lost 27lb and Andrea has lost 18. I feel like an athlete rather then a couch potato. It is wonderful. I encourage everyone to get up and get moving. We always think we have another day to start. Today may be our last chance!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I am so glad that you are alright. This made me so sad, I don't want anything to happen to you. Congratulations on your hard work. Love you lots!

Linda A. said...

How scary! I'm so glad that you are okay. Congratulations on losing so much weight! I've been going to aerobics class 3 days a week and I agree, it makes me feel so much better. Keep it up!

The VanderHoevens said...

UM....why do you never tell us this stuff? Good job on all that weight loss!!

Bob and Karen Lutz said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are ok. I agree with Judy, I don't know what we would do without you, even though you are so far away, you are a big part of the machine. It's so awesome that your hard work is paying off. Know that you have a big cheering section here in Washington. Take care of yourself!

P.S. Andrea, you rock too!!